How to add subtitles to YouTube video? We will cover each method in detail in this article with step-by-step images so that it’s possible for you to do the same easily.
Adding captions and subtitles is very important to reach your audience. You may think in what way will Youtube video subtitles benefit you. If you have thought of adding video captions, it helps in more ways than one. Let me tell you how.
Did you know new mothers actually read the subtitles and watch the YT video on mute? Yes, you read that correctly. Subtitles and captions also help the deaf, and you can cater to a wider audience that actually speaks in different languages. So, let us focus on how to add subtitles to YouTube videos.
There are a few ways by which you will know how to put subtitles on videos.
- Upload a file.
- Auto- sync
- Type manually
- Auto translate
These are the four ways that will teach you to add captions to your videos with ease. Let us dive into each method separately to add subtitles to a YouTube video.
How To Add captions to YouTube videos? (Desktop)
One method to add captions to a video is to upload a file that contains the dialogue from the video. Follow the below-mentioned steps:
- Upload a file
- Open YouTube on your desktop
- Click on your channel’s initial or profile picture and select YT Studio.
- From the Dashboard, Select Subtitles
- Click on the video you want to edit.
- Tap on Add
- Tap on the first option- Upload a file and select the type of file, and hit continue.
- At this point, you can choose a file from your computer
- Upload it and hit on save or publish.
2. Auto Sync
Let us show you the second method of adding video captions:
- You can follow all the steps from the previous guide till ‘Select how you want to add captions.
- Select Auto-Sync
- Type the text you hear in the video.
- You can even alter the timestamps.
- You can choose to edit as text or edit timings.
- After that, check the subtitled version of the final video for any errors you may have missed, and re-edit the text if necessary.
- Save the draft or publish it.
3. Type Manually
- Select Type Manually
- Play the video, add your captions or subtitles, and, if necessary, change the timestamps.
- To help readers understand the appropriate context, you should provide text tags like [applause] or [thunder].
On YouTube, certain long-form and short-form videos have automatic subtitles added. Also, note there that this feature supports only 13 languages.
To add CC on YT videos, we have completed a step-by-step guide on how to add subtitles to YouTube videos.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q1. How to add subtitles to youtube video automatically?
To automatically add CC to YT video, follow these steps:
- Click on the video you want to see.
- From the options, select the CC option.
- Tap on it; you will a red line that will automatically generate captions on a video.
Q2. Is there a way to get English subtitles on YouTube?
Yes, there are many languages to select from. You can choose any language you are comfortable with.
Q3. Can you add captions to an existing YouTube video?
Yes, you can add CC to existing videos.
- From the YT studio
- Select a video to add captions
- Once you select the video, tap on the vertical three dots.
- Tap on show more to further reveal other options
- Scroll down to language and Caption certifications.
- Choose video language and title language.
- Tap to Save the changes.
Captions will be added to an already existing video.
Q.4 How do you get subtitles on YouTube that is not available?
To get subtitles on YT, do the following:
- Tap on the profile picture
- Choose Settings
- Select Playback and Performance
- Tick the box for subtitles and closed captions
That’s how you put captions to videos that is not available.
Q5. How to add subtitles to a YouTube video that is not yours 2022?
Yes, you can add subtitles to a YT video that is not yours. Follow these steps to add CC to videos:
- Click on a video you want to add or change the language of the captions.
- Below the video, tap on the three dots.
- Add translations
- Tap to Switch language
- Set language
We hope you are thorough with how to add subtitles to YouTube video. To summarize the blog, you can add CC in four ways:
- By uploading a pre-recorded file
- Auto -Sync
- Add manually
After being authenticated, YouTube will index closed captions and subtitles to use as metadata. So, it will be simpler for people to find your video through searches. Your viewership could grow as a result, which would help your position in search results.